Skip to main content

Insecurity from nowhere

Recently I have been obsessed about this 2018 Thai TV-series. “Girl from nowhere” plots around a girl named Nanno, who transfers to different schools and exposes everyone’s dark secrets behind the facet of the 'innocent' education institution. Inspired by true story, this series really gives me all the feels and senses in brain!


Nanno from Nowhere

           To me, Nanno is the representation of our inner darkest side. According to Bangkokpost, she is described as the daughter of Satan or the snake from the Garden of Eden who comes to Earth to give forbidden fruit to humans. In each episode, she shows up at different school to test and reveal how evil humans can be.

            When I was watching it, I was horrified and scared of the depiction of this character. Not the kind of standard horrifying scared scenes from the sudden appearance of ghost or bloodlust monsters. Neither about the huge sound effect. It was the kind of a creepy one that you get when your heart was choking or cramping out of nowhere. It's just absurdly from nowhere. Like almost there but not yet there...

            What I’m trying to deliver here is that Nanno brings out the 'Satan' side of human beings using triggering words and inflammatory speeches. There is no doubt that her purpose here is to dig out the dark spirit lurking behind every soul of human.

Peer Pressure

            There is one specific episode (spoiler alert!) that just stuck in my mind for its unacceptable storyline. It is about how a poor guy is trying to fit in with his hellish rich-ass friends that he has to rent a fucking huge mansion just to impress his spoiled brat friends. What’s more is that he steals his parents’ hard-earned money that should be used to clear the family’s debts, just to show how badass ‘his mansion’ is, how much whiskeys he has, how big his golf field is and etc. But this is not even the climax yet! Not the bomb yet!

            Nanno, who magically helps him to find the mansion, even purposely hires his parents to act as the mansion’s helpers. Mind blown! The poor poor kid has to act like he does not know his parents and even let them get humiliated, teased and almost beaten to death by his rich friends. In the whole time, he does not do anything. He does not admit those are his parents. He doesn't even stop his friends from beating his parents. I was like WTF?!

          I would just say the ending is really blood chilling as the last scene shows the poor family having a ‘normal’ dinner back in their house where the camera slowly moves to a whole chuck of money put on top of the table. You get what it means.

            This is just one of the 13 episodes shown in the series. There are some plots which come out as the typical happy ending where some don’t.

Insecurity from everywhere

            This Thai series has made me put my feet back on the ground and think how much it reflects with the real life. All of us do have multiple personalities in one body. Some even we haven’t discovered. However, we find out that it is definitely amazed on how much a person can change everything in one's behavior. One person. One incident. One trigger point. Everything changes.

            It lets me wonder whether everyone’s dark side comes from insecurity. Insecurity, by definition, means uncertainty or anxiety about oneself. Be it to ourselves or to other people, what brings us to do something morally and ethically incorrect is that we are lacking the security of governing our heart from the doubts from outsiders and insiders.

“Come on, you are not good enough, come to mama’s lap”         

             Greed, power, desire, lust, jealousy, compliment, recognition, admiration, and other emotion-based factors are the one humans want so much. This kind of 'want' mainly stems from the root of insecurity. Fitting in, fear of missing out (FOMO) and peer pressure are outside factors that pull us out of ourselves and start to act as someone we are not. Lack of confident, loneliness and fear of being ‘not enough’ (not too smart but not too stupid) are the inner feelings that push us into doing things extremely different from what our initial intention are.

                Both the push-pull effect brings us to become the evilest side of us without meaning to. When we do realize what we have done, it might be too late to undo and change it anymore. Damages are done and loves are destroyed.

            The other day, I came across one of my friend's IG story. What she wrote was very interesting.

Would you bent until you break just to try and fit in?

Or would you rather let your own nature flow even if it means striving alone?

Your choice. Your decision. 

Here I end the post with an old saying added with my own twisted version:

   Curiosity killed the cat. Insecurity killed the whole species.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bro stand up la!

I have been working out lately everyday since my life has bored me during this MCO period. When I started at first, for sure it was hard and difficult to push the limit since it has been awhile that I exercise, not counting my swimming routine back then. Actually, I hate any exercise on land, because I hate sweating! The stickiness of your body and unstoppable sweating flowing out of your body was just irritating for me! If every sweat droplet I discharge can kick one virus out of one´s body, this world will be at peace now and people will be back to working and focus back on our politic drama.           After going through the first few days, I could tell you some crazy things happening to me. Now I LOVE EXERCISE. I know, fucking crazy right. Now my body craves for working out. It craves for letting all those toxins, sweats and tears out of my unhealthy body. If my muscle and bones did not protest for my craziness, I guess, it has been fucking out on the floor every hour or so

What's scarier than you do the same thing over and over but you are still doing it

  If you are born and raised from an Asian family, I am sure that 99.8% of you had been forced to attend some sorts of extra classes or advancement courses to “improve” ourselves while we were young (0.02% were probably crying their eyeballs out to get their getaway card). There is a Malay saying: “ Melentur buluh biarlah dari rebungnya .”, which means that learning in a tender younger age is the best way to cultivate and nourish skills! It’s especially applicable for Asian’s KIASU personality or more specifically Chinese people???           I was definitely not excluded. I was sent to swimming lesson for my mom stating that drowning was very possible in this world covered of around 71% water. Hence, my mom sent every one of us siblings to learn swimming in a very early ages. Other than that, art class and taekwondo class since I was in primary school were attended too.           Truthfully, I am not here to complain  or being ungrateful. I actually enjoyed every moment that I had

Dory can be a great storyteller. (Sacrifice needed)

Telling a story is not that easy. From character, scene, plot, and built-up to climax, everything has to be told enough. Not too many. Not too less. Especially a story that forms an image in listeners' minds. That's why yesterday I was shocked that Me and my friend can have some conversation from having the Justin Bieber concert canceled in Malaysia until the point that I'm a bitch. Seriously now when I thought back on how the conversation flowed, I am amazed that I didn't record it or mentally jot down how to transition from one story to another story. Even if it's not a well-thought-out story, and it's just some random chitchat and gossip, I wonder how this kind of "spin-here-spin-there skill" can really be put into my storytelling skill. Fascinating, indeed... So, according to m very limited memory, this is how it went down... maybe... ~ JB concert has been postponed/most-probably-canceled ~ My friend shared her free and first concert which brings o